B2 Pro The daily life of geopolitical Europe

Defence, diplomacy, crises, powers

'OpenEU defense (doctrine)

My objective: to create the Union of Security and Defense so that Europe is able to act in the face of crises (Von der Leyen)

(B2) Ursula von der Leyen chose, this Wednesday (4 December), to come herself to present the result of the meeting of the College of Commissioners (the 'read out' in Brussels jargon). The opportunity to ask him a few questions about his future ambition, particularly in terms of defense

(credit: European Commission)

In the middle of the NATO summit, how not to question the new president of the European Commission on defence. Ursula von der Leyen lent herself to the game, answering B2's question in French.

NATO is irreplaceable but cannot intervene everywhere

« I would first like to say that NATO, [it] will always be article 5, collective defence. NATO is the most powerful military alliance in the world. " However, the former German Minister of Defense says deeply " convinced that there are issues where I do not see NATO, but where it is necessary to have the European Union with the ability to act »

The task of this Commission: a Security and Defense Union

The European Union is unique [by the] means it has: diplomacy, development, investments, but also defence. We must continue to work to develop the Security and Defense Union. This will be a task for this Commission. Because I want that, when there is a crisis and the EU agrees to act, that it must have the procedures and the means to really act ».

Do not repeat the Malian scenario where France had to act alone

And the former Minister of Defense to remember the Malian scenario. Five years ago. There was a political desire from the EU to act in Mali, but it had neither the means, nor the structures, nor the procedures to act. It is thanks to France that Mali did not fall. This is why in the future we want to build this European Security and Defense Union to be " able to act if necessary ».

Reducing the FEDEF budget: an unacceptable proposal

As for the proposal made by the current Presidency of the Union, Finland, to revise downwards certain means, in particular the reduction to 6 billion euros for 2021-2027 of the European Defense Fund (FEDEF) budget, “  these means are not high enough. If we are serious about [defence], we have to invest “, hammered the president. And to add later, responding to another journalist, " I am concerned to see the deep reductions foreseen in this proposal compared to that of the Commission. There are significant reductions for policies that target key objectives of our strategic agenda, such as Frontex, defence, digital or efforts to green the economy ».

A commitment to the outside

External issues will need to be reviewed on a weekly basis (as a national government can). " At each [meeting of the] college, time will be allocated [for] the High Representative to report on external action ". A discussion that will be based on a preparatory body, the EXCO, a new structure. What " will make this Commission more geopolitical ". On sensitive issues, such as the trade dispute with the United States, we must be very careful in the choice of words ". " I prefer to have a well-prepared meeting, go over the different issues first, try as much as possible to have win-win situations. "" This will not always be the case. " If it is not possible, " we are ready to act on our own ».

(Nicolas Gros-Verheyde)

A serious problem with Turkey

The President of the Commission admitted to having serious problems to discuss with Turkey ". The development of the situation in Türkiye requires very honest conversations, on both sides ". Firstly, " we have serious problems with regard to respect for international law, respect for the neighborhood, the sovereignty and the integrity of the neighbors ". On the other hand, there is other areas in which we collaborate with Turkey, for example the EU-Turkey agreement, the agreement on migration ».

Nicolas Gros Verheyde

Chief editor of the B2 site. Graduated in European law from the University of Paris I Pantheon Sorbonne and listener to the 65th session of the IHEDN (Institut des Hautes Etudes de la Défense Nationale. Journalist since 1989, founded B2 - Bruxelles2 in 2008. EU/NATO correspondent in Brussels for Sud-Ouest (previously West-France and France-Soir).

Leave comments

This site uses Akismet to reduce unwanted. Learn more about how your comments data is used.