B2 Pro The daily life of geopolitical Europe

Defence, diplomacy, crises, powers

'OpenEU Institutions

Ursula von der Leyen elected President of the European Commission 2019-2024. Barely

(B2) Ursula von der Leyen was elected on the evening of Tuesday July 16 by the European Parliament meeting in plenary in Strasbourg. But just. She only managed to get nine votes more than the required majority.

The candidate nominated by the European Council obtained only 383 votes 'For' (for 374 votes necessary) in a secret ballot (manual). 327 deputies voted 'Against', 22 abstained and one invalid ballot was counted, for 733 votes cast (out of 747 registered members). Ursula von der Leyen therefore failed to rally a large majority, as hoped. This despite favorable voting instructions from the three large groups (EPP, S&D, Renew Europe). With 51,3% of the votes of the members of Parliament, she is even one of the worst elected Presidents of the Commission since Jacques Santer, according to our own barometer (Read The election of the presidents of the European Commission. Who was the 'best elected' and the worst?). He will have to compose his college of commissioners with great skill and prepare a slightly more detailed program speech to be able to convince in October and win the support of the European Parliament, this time for the whole college.

« I am very honored " and "  moved “said the main interested party, when the results were announced, which apparently surprised her. " In a democracy, the majority is the majority.. She then invited MEPs to work together “  constructively  », wanting to be a president of the unit. .

Voting group by group

Unconditional support of the EPP...

The German was able to count on the votes of the EPP. Leader Manfred Weber's appeal left no doubt about the voting instructions.

...and almost unconditional of the Renew group

Another almost unconditional support is the Renew Europe group. President Dacian Ciolos said it clearly on Tuesday afternoon at a press conference: the group was ready " to support it by a very large majority ". He estimated less than five members of the group voting 'Against' or abstaining.

The 'yes but' of the S&Ds

The Social Democratic Group (S&D) needed more guarantees. Their president, Iratxe Garcia-Perez finally indicated at 18 p.m. that the group “ would support Ursula von der Leyen as long as she kept her promises ". Finally, it seems that about half of the members voted against. The Germans, the Belgians, the Greeks, the Dutch, the French, the Slovenes, according to a count made by the journalists, were against. The French delegation (five deputies) had warned at 17 p.m. that " Ursula von der Leyen, President of the European Commission? For us it's no! ».

The firm no of the Greens and the Left

The Greens did not hide their disappointment at not having received a " concrete proposalss”. THE " nice speech » from the candidate this morning and the few applause recorded in the environmental ranks were not enough to win the group's vote. Same tempo on the side of the radical left GUE.

The 'no maybe' of the sovereignists

The conservative group (ECR) was fairly divided, particularly on issues of the rule of law, as its leader, Raffaele Fitto, pointed out, “ at variance on a new mechanism proposed by the candidate. The Poles of the PiS (Law and Justice) had however indicated that they wanted to vote for the candidate, as did the Italian 5 Star Movement (member of the Non-attached).

The hostile 'no' of the nationalists

The nationalists of I&D (Identity and Democracy) had warned that they would vote 'Against', through the voice of the German from the AFD Jörg Meuthen. A news that delighted the main interested party. "JI'm relieved to know that I won't have your support — said Ursula von der Leyen. To me it's a reward for what I've done ».

(SPOUSE)

Download the report of the European Parliament

Read related articles:

The Congratulations by the French President, the German Chancellor and the current President of the European Commission

« Today Europe has your face. That of commitment, ambition and progress. We can be proud of Europe. We will be at your side to move it forward 'To tweeted Emmanuel Macron Tuesday evening.

« With her, there will be for the first time a President of the European Commission and, after more than 50 years, a German at the head of the European executive. I look forward to it because she will be a convinced and convincing European leader of the European Commission “said Angela Merkel according to Atlantic.

Jean-Claude Juncker has welcomed « Finally, the first woman at the head of the Commission. " This work is a huge responsibility and a challenge. I am sure you will make a great president. Welcome to the house ! ».

Leave comments

This site uses Akismet to reduce unwanted. Learn more about how your comments data is used.